Become a Maine Notary Public
Maine Notary Commission Overview
The step-by-step process for becoming a notary public in the state of Maine is detailed below. Once you are ready to shop for supplies, simply visit our store. As a national provider of notary supplies, notary bonds, insurance, and training, Notary.net has pretty much everything you need to become a Maine notary public.
Are You in the Wrong Place?
How to Become a Notary Public in MaineStep-by-Step Instructions
How to Become a Maine Notary Public
1. Make sure you meet the requirements to become a Maine notary (see below).
2. Maine residents: Complete the application for appointment as a Maine Notary Public (Maine residents only).
3. New Hampshire residents: Complete the application for appointment as a Maine Notary Public (New Hampshire residents only).
4. Submit the application and the $50 fee.
5. You will receive your Certificate of Office and your Certificate of Qualification in the mail. This will include your date of appointment (appointment date).
6. Within 30 days of your appointment date, you must appear before a Dedimus Justice to be sworn into notary public office. To find a Dedimus Justice, contact the Division of Corporations, UCC and Commissions at (207) 624-7752, or visit our website at www.maine.gov/sos/cec/notary/index.html.
7. Within 45 days of your appointment date, you must return your completed certificate to the Secretary of State.
8. Buy a Maine notary seal and a notary journal.
Congratulations! You are now a Maine notary public!